Cream cheesecake brownies are in fact two separate desserts combined together into a delicious treat. By combining fudgy brownies and cheesecake you get the best of both worlds because they complement each other very well. The chocolate flavor in this recipe is balanced by the tanginess of the cheesecake layer giving these brownies their unique flavor.
Furthermore, their flavor is not the only thing that makes these brownies so magnificent, they are also a great sight for the eye because of the distinctive swirls they’ve got on top.
How to make cream cheesecake brownies
This recipe requires 2 basic components:
- The brownie layer
- The cheesecake layer
To prepare the brownie layer:
- First, take a heatproof bowl and in it melt together 4 oz of dark chocolate and ½ cup unsalted butter. For this recipe, it would be best to use 50-70 percent dark chocolate, however, be careful not to use bittersweet chocolate because your brownies might end up tasting too bitter.
- Next, whisk into the mixture one cup of sugar.
- Then, also whisk in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 2 eggs. Before adding these two ingredients you must make sure that the mixture is not very hot, or else you might end up with scrambled eggs.
- Finally, gently fold in ½ cup flour and ¼ teaspoon salt.
To prepare the cheesecake layer:
- Pour 8 oz of cream cheese and 1/3 cup sugar into a medium-sized bowl. Then, use a mixer to beat them together well. Before you get started, first, you must make sure that the cream cheese is at room temperature. When shopping for cream cheese look for full-fat, brick-style cream cheese.
- Next, beat in one egg into the mixture.
Now, that you have finished preparing both the components combine them together.
- Reserve only ½ cup of brownie batter and pour the rest into an 8×8 inch pan.
- Spread out the batter all over the pan and smoothen it, then pour the cheesecake layer over it.
- Then use the reserved ½ cup of batter and pour 16 spoonfuls of it over the cheesecake batter.
- Finally, to get the beautiful swirls on top, use either a knife or a toothpick and swirl the batter.
The brownies are now ready to bake, all you need to do is preheat the oven and then put them in and let them bake for about half an hour.
Cutting and serving brownies
Before you go on to cutting these brownies, you must first let them cool off, then let them stay in the fridge for about 4 hours. With this the brownies will get fully set, making it easier to cut them and get clean edges. Moreover, by letting the brownies chill you are improving their flavor as well.
How to cut brownies
Never use a butter knife to cut these brownies! To get the needed results to use a thin, sharp knife. Make clean, sharp cuts and remember to clean your knife in between each cut.
Cream cheese brownie recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 70 minutes
For the brownie layer:
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup flour
For the cheesecake layer:
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
– Start by lining the pan with some aluminum foil or parchment paper and lightly grease. Then, preheat the oven at 350F degrees.
- Put the butter and dark chocolate into a large microwave bowl and use 30 seconds bursts to melt them together (stir in between bursts)
- Next, whisk in the sugar.
- Let it cool off for about 4 minutes and then whisk in the vanilla extract and the eggs.
- Use either a wooden spoon or spatula and carefully add in the flour and salt.
- Take a medium bowl, pour the sugar and cream cheese in it and beat until smooth.
- Then, beat it the egg until it is all well combined.
Swirling and baking
- Reserve ½ cup of the brownie batter and pour in the rest in the prepared pan.
- Smooth the top and then pour the cheesecake batter over it.
- Next, use a spoon to pour bits of the reserved brownie batter on top of the cheesecake layer.
- Swirl the batter by using either a sharp knife or a toothpick.
- Put the pan into the oven and bake for about half an hour or until the center appears set.
- Let it cool off completely, then put it in the fridge and let it stay at least for 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- When you have finished with all these procedures, using a sharp knife cut into squares, then using an overhang remove the brownies from the pan.